[singlepic id=14 w=320 h=240 float=left]

Today was a day to remember for sure, starting early. Woke at just after 3am, anticipation, like the first day of school I guess. Prepared myself and my gear and left for the first of several stretches in a vehicle. I met with Wendy B. early and traveled south in-search of Trico action. Arriving at waters edge at 6:45am I half expected the hatch to be well underway but thankfully I was wrong, being new and not taking the cooler night temperature into consideration I hadn’t realized that the AM Trico hatch would be a Mid-Morning Trico hatch.

We moved to the spot we wanted, feet wet we waited, both rods rigged with a #22 Trico pattern. The thing here is that we could have rigged nymphs and pounded trout from our chosen spot but rather than do that we waited, at times silently just observing the progression of the morning. We saw at first sporadic risers, likely caused by the occasional hatching female but chose not to pressure the situation much, a cast or two and then back to the wait. Patience truly is a virtue. As the time crept by I noted the variety of macro-invertebrates in the water, and enjoyed good conversation with a good friend. Soon it was pushing 8:30 and the rising was beginning to pick up, the cloud above had grown exponentially to a swarm.

[singlepic id=19 w=160 h=120 float=right]

Wendy B. spotted a pair of spinners in the water, the first ones we had seen so naturally I practically jumped head first in to find them and what I pulled out on my index finger was the sickest bug moment I’ve ever had. On my finger I watched the male lay still, dead, the female with her shorter olive abdomen wiggle once, twice, and there it was a pile of bright green Trico eggs. This in and of itself was enough for me, I probably could have gone home then and had a smile on my face but we came to tempt rising trout and by this time it was on. Taking turns this was hands down one of the best times I’ve had fishing with another person, somewhat closely matched in skill I could almost keep up with Wendy as we would cast, hook and back out each fish in a rhythm that as the next two hours progressed became fairly steady.

[singlepic id=28 w=490h=410 float=center]

I fished Wendy’s 2wt Sage this morning and it felt excellent! Took about five minutes to get used to the thing but it made these smaller fish feel huge and we never really switched back, (the rhythm was helping) hard to hand off a rod when it has a trout on the other end almost constantly for two hours. We didn’t keep track of the fish count but we caught our fair share and kept a few for hungry stomachs back at home. As the cloud of Tricos above disappeared the rising wained to sporadic risers by 11:30. After missing my last strike I was more than pleased to leave this place feeling accomplished. We left for a bit of a haul to show up late for a date with the Roughfisher, the other part of the plan(showing up late was not in the plan).

[singlepic id=20 w=320 h=240 float=right]

Trout rising feverishly and then a cut to carp town. What more could a guy ask for? We drove to the spot and switched from 2 and 3wts respectively to 7 and 8wt rods to toss weighted flies to carp lips. Unfortunately it seemed that we were not meant to see the gold footballs I had remembered from last time I was here. The wind was blowing making me feel borderline stupid as JP almost effortlessly put his flies a good 20-30feet further than mine with a two-handed cast that looked….smooth…baby. After donating a few hooks and time at the vise to the rocks below we pressed on in search of better opportunities. Spot two was a bust, spot three had a few varieties of roughfish but none were willing to dance with us today. Finally we ended at a dam with JP hooking up with a cyprinid for a moment only to be disappointed yet again. I left catching only a bullhead, smaller than the smallest trout I caught earlier in the morning on the 2wt. and I got it on the 8wt.

[singlepic id=29 w=490 h=410 float=center]

It was good to meet JP and fish with two like minded anglers. I know I learned things just by listening and watching, after I loosened up a bit I asked a few questions as well. We rounded out the day with a bit of a dirty deal involving a massive amount of flies tied by JP. I swapped a few in, and took a few out, this man can tie a mean looking fly. I was given a sweet-ass hat that has yet to leave my head and with that a full day of fly fishing went down in the books. Thanks to Wendy B. and JP for a good time for sure, I wish I had taken more photos while carping though.

[nggallery id=2]


  1. Thanks for the kind words guys, It’s taken a bit of effort to get the site to this point.

    JP, the Otter Tail looks like a good time. We will have to work on planning something for the future.

    Wendy, I’ve been stewing on the morning for a while now. Thinking about that take in the still water and the egg laying was something I’ll never forget. I was hoping for a good shot of your line laying out, I was kind of surprised to get a good one. One of my top trout days as well.

  2. the new layout is great– looks like a fun time– better luck on the golden bones next time… I still haven’t tricked one of those onto a hook yet, despite the fact there is close carp water here.

    And those tricos are effing puny!! (the flies you are fishing with that is).

    Also, good job getting reproduced on. I’m not sure I would have been as excited… haha


  3. Haha, reproduced on, that’s funny sh*t. Think about this one, hot spots in your flies. My goal is to take that little green pile of eggs and turn it into a wicked hot spot on the back end of a #24 Trico pattern, just the smallest amount of green dubbing. Hopefully that will set the trout off. Hope all is well in Reno.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *